From velvet minidresses (1990s-inspired, of course) to velvet leggings (in a bevy of hues), this rich fabric is on my holiday must list. But even if you’re not quite ready to go all-out with velvet, it’s easy to incorporate this plush, seasonal fabric in a subtler way – just check out the Ciaté “Berry Poncho” manicure below.
The polish is available at Sephora and includes step-by-step directions. But, if you ask me, this tutorial on Ciaté’s website is even better.
A few tips:
1. Paint each nail with two coats of polish. Immediately after adding the second coat, powder on the
velvet – it will hold to the polish much longer.
2. Put some velvet powder in the “catch-all” tray provided and roll each nail in it, making sure to coat the nail completely.
3. Place some paper towels underneath your manicure station, because that velvet dust will wander.
4. DO NOT DO YOUR MANI NEAR A FAN! (See wandering velvet dust, above.)
5. Get used to friends asking to pet your nails – it’s going to happen more than you’d think.
By Carolyn Schultz, Staff Writer
What’s your go-to holiday manicure? Share it in the comments below or tweet us at @ruelala.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.
As one of fall’s favorite colors, the high-impact blue speaks volumes – especially when saturating ground-skimming pieces like office-chic maxis and long, leggy trousers.
BY MAKEUP ARTIST AND KEEP ME BLUSHING BLOGGER SAMANTHA MICHELLE
We’re in denial about any shreds of winter left. Full speed to spring, please. Bright colors! Lighter fabrics! We even spotted a pair of bright pink wedges in our midst today.
With Smashbox Cosmetics on our horizon, we turned to Keep Me Blushing blogger, Samantha Michelle, to enlighten us on the color of 2011: sweet, pretty honeysuckle – a mouth-watering, reddish-pink hue. Check out her tips, then let us know if you’ll be up for a little (or a lot) for spring.
I love the color of 2011. It’s happy, warm, and beautiful, and looks great on just about anyone. It’s easy to add this color into your wardrobe and accessories, but don’t forget your makeup bag! Some of you may think this honeysuckle is too bright to wear on your face, but when done correctly it looks so great – especially for spring/summer.
Continue reading “Spring Trend: Honeysuckle” »