Think only beauty pros and Kim Kardashian can understand the science behind contouring? Think again. We makeup novices can sculpt our faces, too. Simply check out the tips below and give it a go. Trust me, the benefits of contouring are just too great to pass up – not only does it slim your face and accentuate your natural beauty, it also makes you look younger. I know. Here’s how:
First, stock your beauty toolbox.
- Find a large, angled brush for emphasizing your cheekbones. I recommend MAC’s 168 Large Angled Contour Brush.
- Pick a matte shadow in a shade darker than your skin tone. It’s a must for adding depth to your face.
- Look for a cream-based highlighter to let your best features shine while maintaining soft lines. Try out NARS’s “The Multiple.”
Then, play up those features.
- Begin with the large angled brush and matte shadow. Brush the shadow under and up into your cheekbones. (Goodbye, pudgy cheeks.) To slim your face, add shadow along your hairline and jawline as well.
- Next, use your highlighter to play up your best features. A simple guide to contouring is to focus on the area that you have already dusted with shadow. For example, highlight under your eyes to the tops of your cheeks to contrast with the shadow under your cheekbones.
See? Wasn’t that hard, was it?
By Carolyn Bothwell, Staff Writer
Want to know more about beauty? Follow our Pretty Talk column every Wednesday.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.