Let’s just come right out and admit it: we’ve all been there. And by there, I mean plagued by a visibly sweaty shirt once the temps start climbing. Maybe it’s the can’t-have-it-all trade-off for the season’s beautiful, sunny weather. But there are ways to avoid embarrassment and stay cool and dry. (Ways that do not include foregoing shirts altogether.) Here are five tips to help you keep sweaty incidents to a minimum.
1. Avoid caffeine and spicy foods. As much as you may love your coffee, soda, and Sriracha, they all can trigger sweat production. Stay hydrated with lots of water and stick to less-spicy food instead.
2. Swipe on some antiperspirant. Deodorant will mask the issue, while this will help prevent it. Go for clinical strength (with a higher concentration of active ingredients) if the standard stuff isn’t enough.
3. Wear natural fabrics. Think sweat-wicking, water-absorbing, quick-drying cotton and linen – and avoid synthetics at all costs. They’ll take their sweet time drying and will up the stink factor to boot.
4. Opt for a breathable fit. Even if you’re wearing a slim-fit button-front, there should be a bit of room between shirt and skin to allow your body to regulate its temperature. Too close a fit = too hot.
5. Put on an undershirt. Sure, it may seem counterintuitive to add an extra layer, but a cotton undershirt is a sweat-absorbing barrier that can help keep your actual shirt dry. Go with a V-neck so it doesn’t show.
And if all else fails? Bring backup – a spare shirt you can change into should the season get the best of you.
Round out your summer shirt collection. Our Mix & Match: 50 Men’s Shirts & Printed Ties Boutique opens Tuesday, June 24, at 11AM ET.
By Chrissy Makkas, Staff Writer
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.