The key to a great-fitting jean is striking a balance between comfortably loose and appealingly hugging. But most importantly, it’s finding the best fit for your body type. Here are some easy tips for looking great (and being comfortable!) in your denim.
- A general rule of thumb: stick with a straight or slim cut in a dark wash, since they are easiest to dress up and down.
- Athletic Build: Try jeans with a lower rise that will lengthen out your proportions. But steer clear from cuts that are too low – no one wants to be a victim on the list of plumber’s casualties.
- Long and Lean Build: Experiment a bit with hues. Opt for a lighter wash (but avoid acid wash, for obvious reasons) or colored denim to add some dimension to your look. Lucky for you, your build makes colored pants look edgy and classic, all at once.
- Shorter Build: Do yourself a favor and keep it straight, simple, and fitted. Stay away from looser cuts – you don’t want to add heft to a shorter frame with baggy jeans.
- Avoid super-slim, tapered, or bootcut styles, as these can cause odd proportions and fit. This applies to all body types.
- Regardless of what cut you decide to rock, make sure the hems graze the tops of your shoes, but still cover your socks. This is crucial. Too-short pants are not a good look.
- Cuff as needed: A tidy rolled cuff is very acceptable these days and allows you to adjust your hem based on your footwear.
By Christine Mitchell, Staff Writer
What are your menswear tips? Share them in the comments below or tweet us @ruelala.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.