With cool mornings, warm afternoons, and in-between evenings, dressing for the entire day can be a bit tricky. But learn the fine art of layering, and you’ll be comfortable in any temperature (even the office’s arctic A/C). To avoid looking bulky, use these tips to mix and match pieces for the most flattering shape. Bonus: you’ll create new looks you never even knew you had hiding in your closet.
- Keep the underlayer (like a body-hugging tank or dress) fitted for the ideal outfit foundation.
- Throw something loose on top (think: a flowy tee, button-down chambray shirt, or both).
- Don’t let your shape get lost – add a belt to cinch your waist.
- Tie on a summer scarf to finish the look. It will come in handy for the breeziest times of day.
And remember these two things when picking your layering pieces:
- Be mindful of proportion and keep the bottom half of your outfit slim.
- Pair long pieces with short, and short with long. If everything is one length, no one will be able to see your mix-and-match genius.
By Brianna Lapolla, Staff Writer
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.