The Birkin. The Kelly. The… Evelyne? That’s right, there’s another Hermès sister in town. Designed in 1978, the bag has been around for decades. But it wasn’t until recently that it began cropping up on style blogs and celebs’ shoulders. Read on for five must-know facts about our latest obsession.
- Évelyne Bertrand, then the head of the Hermès riding department, was the inspiration behind the bag.
- Originally, the design was marketed as a carryall for equestrian accessories, but it has since been repositioned as a chic crossbody.
- The bag’s trademark H was purposely perforated to allow horse-grooming tools to dry.
- It has gone through three generational transformations:
- Evelyne I: It was first created without an external pocket.
- Evelyne II: Next time around, an outer pocket was added (hello, lipstick storage).
- Evelyne III: Today’s version has the best of all worlds – the pocket and an adjustable canvas strap.
- Though the logo was originally intended to be worn facing in, it is almost always worn facing out.
Feeling fashionably informed? Get acquainted with the It bag herself in our Hermès: Featuring the Evelyne Bag Boutique, which opened Thursday, August 20, at 11AM ET.
By Kelly Hamilton, Blog Editor
Not a Member and like The Style Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.