If you’re getting a present from me, you better believe it’s homemade. Don’t return the gift you got me quite yet, though – I’m not talking the ornaments-made-of-popsicle-sticks kind of homemade. This year, all the good girls and boys on my list will get DIY, personalized drink coasters, because ringing in the New Year shouldn’t include unsightly cup rings on your new coffee table.
What you’ll need:
• 4″ x 4″ tiles
• Self-adhesive felt or cork pads (those circular felt pads for chair legs work perfectly)
• Mod Podge®
• Gloss sealer finish
How to do it:
1. Flip each tile over and position one self-adhesive felt or cork pad in each corner so the tiles won’t scratch the table.
2. Cut your pictures to size using a ruler. Make sure no extra paper hangs over the sides when you lay the photo on top of the tile.
3. Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge over the tile, position your picture carefully over it, and smooth down firmly. Ensure there are no wrinkles or bubbles in the picture.
4. Next, paint over the picture with a coat of Mod Podge. Make sure to coat the sides of the tiles and that all of your brush strokes go in the same direction.
5. Once the tiles dry, spray each liberally with a layer of gloss sealer. This will make them waterproof.
6. After the sealant has dried, stack the finished products in groups of 4 to 6, tie with a ribbon, and let the gifting begin.
By Grace Romanowsky of Valenki By ACE, Staff Writer
How did your road test fare? Share it in the comments below or tweet us at @ruelala.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.