If you’re anything like me, in between contouring and concealing, you let your makeup brushes sit on your vanity counter collecting bacteria. But here’s the thing: cleaning your brushes should be a regular part of your beauty routine. By doing so, you’ll avoid clogged pores and endless breakouts. And it’s easy to do – just check out the steps below.
- Run your brushes under lukewarm water to rinse out any residual makeup.
- Lather bristles with a gentle shampoo like Johnson’s Baby Shampoo. Try to avoid wetting the spot where the bristles meet the handle – water will wear down the glue over time.
- Swirl your brushes in a shallow bowl filled with lukewarm water and the shampoo.
- Rinse brushes under lukewarm water.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3, and then rinse until water runs clear from the bristles.
- Squeeze excess water from your brushes, reshaping as you do.
- Maintain your brushes by spritzing with an antibacterial spray, like Daily Brush Cleaner by SEPHORA COLLECTION, every day.
By Carolyn Bothwell, Staff Writer
Want to know more about beauty? Follow our Pretty Talk column every Wednesday.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.