She seemingly came out of nowhere, but now, this girl is on everyone’s radar. And I mean everyone’s. After nabbing the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress from right under Jennifer Lawrence’s nose, stealing the show at every red-carpet event, and sparking dating rumors with fellow Oscar winner Jared Leto (he even referred to her as “my future ex-wife” in one of his acceptance speeches), it’s no wonder we’re all a little Lupita-obsessed right now.
While her performance in 12 Years a Slave got our attention, it’s her unique style that has us all really enthralled. It’s not easy to outshine Angelina Jolie, Cate Blanchett, and Julia Roberts on the red carpet, but somehow, Lupita has managed to do it time and again. Here are my picks for her top five awards-show looks.
5. Simple yet sophisticated in a canary yellow J. Mendel number at the Hollywood Film Awards.
4. No necklace required with this intricate Gucci gown worn to the SAG Awards.
3. Striking in white Calvin Klein with strategic cutouts at the Critics’ Choice Awards.
2. Princess-like in “Nairobi Blue” Prada at the Oscars.
1. Superhero-chic in a Ralph Lauren cape dress at the Golden Globes.
Have questions about the latest fashion happenings? Tweet our Fashion Director, Jackie Nasser, at @ruelala with #askjackie.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.
Jackie Nasser joined Rue La La as fashion director in November of 2012. In close collaboration with the merchandising teams, she leads content production for lookbooks, style tips, and curated Boutiques. Jackie is the former lead editor for InStyle’s sister shopping site, StyleFind.com, which she launched. Prior to that, she served as senior fashion editor at Lucky and at ELLEgirl, ELLE Accessories, and ELLE.com.