A Man’s Guide to Impressing the In-Laws
So, you got hitched. Congrats. Now that you’re settled into married life, let’s talk your new in-laws. They’ve invited you over for dinner. Brie. Chicken piccata with broccoli rabe. Maybe some rice pilaf. Chardonnay. And your number-one goal? Impress, at all costs. Here’s what to do.
1. Dress “dressy casual.” Dark denim with a cleanly pressed button-front and blazer says I want to impress you, but I don’t want to out-dress you. They’ll appreciate that. No one wants their son-in-law to show up in a tracksuit (or a full suit).
2. Hold the aftershave. Subtlety is key. If you erroneously do show up in a tracksuit, at least you can take pride in the fact that you didn’t make anyone gag.
3. Bring a small gift. Dad likes his craft beer? Stop by the local brewery and grab some.
4. Eat the food. Even if it’s bad. Chicken piccata so tart it makes your mouth pucker? Be a man. You’ve had worse. Praise the chef for the item you find the most palatable, then take a very small portion of seconds. Just this once.
5. But never, ever drink too much. Mom does not want to hear the story about how one time, in college, you by mistake lit yourself on fire and jumped into the fraternity pool.
Most importantly – relax. If you follow these five tips, you’ll be fine. They already let you marry their child. That has to count for something, right?
By Joanna Berliner, Editor
Our Dinner at the In-Laws: Wear a Nice Shirt & Denim Boutique opened Tuesday, March 11, at 11AM ET.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.