So Long, Winter: Our Rue Living Editorial Director Talks Spring Cleaning
It’s about that time of year. When the outside temp hits 45 degrees, the world comes out of hibernation. And with spring on the brain, we turned to our Living editorial director (and former editor in chief of Country Living magazine), Nancy Soriano, to give us her step-by-step scoop on organizing, purging, and sprucing up every space for the sunny season.
- First things first – open the windows. Then, grab a pair of rubber gloves and clean the glass inside and out.
- Next: the walls. Remove dust and stains with light soap and water.
- Organizing the closet is a big project, but the feeling of renewal afterward makes it worthwhile. I arrange everything by item (skirts, tops, etc.), pushing the winter things to one side. Sometimes, as a treat, I buy all new hangers.
- As tough as it is to part with them, I purge the magazines and catalogs in my home office that I no longer need. And I line books by spine color. I take this time to restock office supplies, too.
- Pillows and throws are like the lipstick of decorating. They’re not a huge investment, but they give everything a fresh look. I pick up a new one of each every season.
- Finally, in anticipation of entertaining guests indoors and out, I clean out the cabinets, getting rid of things like old spices and cracker boxes.
Ready to let spring in? Get started at our Welcome, Spring: Updates to Awaken Your Home Boutique on Wednesday, February 26, at 3PM ET.
By Julia Ivins, Staff Writer
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.