Behind the Scenes We Go: Backstage at Christian Siriano
Christian Siriano. Today, we know him as Project Runway’s youngest – and most successful – winner. Pieces from his eponymous label can be seen inside the likes of Italian Vogue and all over the red carpet. But before he conquered the fashion world, did you know he was a hairdresser? Fact. And it’s just one of the reasons Sebastian Professional lead hairstylist Anthony Cole wanted to work with the designer on his highly anticipated Fall/Winter 2014 show.
“It’s really amazing because he has this great vision and we can collaborate together and I have no fear because I know he understands,” said Cole.
The result of their collaborative effort? A “cool-yet-glamorous” low chignon bun that complements the 60s vibe seen throughout Siriano’s F/W ’14 collection. And according to Cole, this is a hairstyle you can expect to see off the runways, too. “Buns are going to get lower this season because of that early 60s, late 50s look that’s becoming big. It’s all about ladylike hair again,” said Cole, who also recommends we get out our hot rollers this season.
Want to get the look at home? Here are seven tips from Anthony himself:
- Start by spraying Dry Clean Only around your hairline until the entire head is covered, then brush back.
- Work Mousse Forte from root to tip, again covering the entire head.
- Starting from the crown, use hands to curl one-inch sections of your hair, securing with pins until the entire head is complete. Set each curl with Shaper Hairspray.
- Remove pins and brush hair so curls fall loosely.
- Gather hair at the nape of your neck and secure in low ponytail.
- Finger-tease ponytail with Shaper Hairspray, starting with the underneath layer.
- Pin your ponytail underneath the hair elastic, creating an elegant, low bun.
By Keriann Coffey, Associate Editor
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.