So, you want to gift your friend a pair of pants for the holidays. But with so many different cuts, fits, and washes, where do you begin? First, breathe. Next, simply use the tips below to make sure the pants you pick are a guaranteed good fit.
- Skip the low-rise jeans and instead go for a mid-rise pant. Not too low and not too high, the universally flattering waistband is your safest bet when it comes to gifting bottoms.
- When it doubt about length, go for the longer option. Even if your giftee is on the shorter side, she may want to wear her new pants with a pair of 5-inch heels. Plus, too-long jeans can always be hemmed, while flood pants are simply a lost cause.
- Consider a wide-leg pant. They’re in at the moment, and it’s a fit that any figure can rock. The best part? They’re seriously comfortable – which is something every giftee will appreciate.
- If you’re unsure of the recipient’s measurements, always opt for an unfinished hem. That way he can tailor down to the perfect length, no matter his height.
- Consider your giftee’s build and choose the cut you think will look best. Not sure? Boot-cut and straight legs work well for the majority of men.
- When it comes to gifting pants, remember: less is more. A clean, dark wash will appeal to most men, while embellished and distressed pairs can be hit or miss.
- Shop on a site (like, ahem, Rue) with a good return policy. That way, if the pants you gift don’t fit, the recipient doesn’t have to jump through hoops to return them. Trust me – they’ll thank you for it.
By Alex Tighe, Staff Writer
Like this week’s post? Check out our The Fitting Room column every Monday.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.