To a T: Tips for Gifting the Right-Sized Top
Using online measurements can be a bit difficult. Add gifting to the equation, and, well, it’s just flat-out intimidating. But fear not – you don’t have to give up the idea of gifting a perfectly fitting top this holiday season. Simply use the tips below to make sure your picks are always a good fit.
- First and foremost, try to nab those measurements – especially the neck and the sleeve length. A too-tight neckline guarantees discomfort, and too-short sleeves look less than put-together.
- Always go for fitted. Regardless of whether or not your giftee is tall and slender, fitted shirts tend to be the most flattering.
- Remember, dress shirts often shrink after a few washings, so buy something that’s considerably longer in the sleeves if you’re guessing. It’s always better to have room to tailor down just in case.
- If the woman you’re buying for has a broad upper half, go for something with stretch. A small percentage of spandex can go a long way, and will save you the worry of whether or not the top will be constricting.
- Size up. Seriously. It’s better to give a friend a gift they can tailor down than one that’s too tight and destined to be returned.
- If you’re still nervous about getting the right size, opt for an oversized sweater. If the woman you’re shopping for is on the taller side, a lower hem has her covered. For those of average height or shorter, it can double as dress with tights.
By Alex Tighe, Staff Writer
Like this week’s post? Check out our The Fitting Room column every Monday.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.