The energy at Fashion Week is palpable. So much thought and creativity goes into each aspect – and there’s no exception for the hairstyles that hit the runways. I was able to get a backstage view of the prep at Korto Momolu‘s show. A designer and Project Runway alum, Momolu’s concept was all about good and evil. And the hair for the show? It was also a combination of sweet and spicy. The highly perched fishtail braid was an unexpected, edgy twist on a girlhood favorite.
Want to get the look at home? Here are six tips from NIOXIN Design Team Lead Stylist, Diane Stevens:
- Prep damp hair with 6 – 8 pumps of DIAMAX (a thickening treatment), sprayed directly at the roots.
- Use Therm Activ Protector on damp hair for thermal protection. This spray also adds shine and protects against breakage.
- Layer a Bodifying Foam treatment from roots to tips for maximum body.
- Use a Denman brush while blow-drying the hair and a Mason Pearson brush to pull it into a sleek high ponytail.
- Apply a dime-sized amount of Definition Creme to the ponytail for a good hold – minus the frizz. Create a fishtail braid.
- Twist the fishtail braid around the top of the head, secure with bobby pins, and spritz with NioSpray Regular Hold finishing spray.
Some additional advice from Diane: “Take your time and don’t skimp on the product. The texture and grasp of the hair is very important.”
By Cassandra Handley, Lead Copy Director
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.