Today, he’s the celebrated king of couture costume jewelry. But did you know he started out as a shoe designer? It’s true. Here, five facts about the man behind the famed eponymous brand.
- Kenneth Jay Lane was born in Detroit, Michigan, and is an alumnus of the University of Michigan and the Rhode Island School of Design.
- Before hitting it big with his jewelry line, he designed shoes for Delman and Christian Dior.
- He’s created pieces for Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Elizabeth Taylor, Diana Vreeland, and Audrey Hepburn (just to name a few).
- He was a mainstay of 1960s high society and a personal friend of Andy Warhol and Truman Capote.
- In 1974, he was added to Eleanor Lambert’s International Best-Dressed List Hall of Fame (now published by Vanity Fair).
Our The World of Kenneth Jay Lane Boutique opens Friday, August 23, at 11AM ET.
By Keriann Coffey, Associate Editor
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.