Rue How-To: Personalized Welcome Mat
One trip to Home Depot, a few printouts, and some work with an X-ACTO® knife later, my front porch has serious personality. Here’s how to create your own.
What you’ll need:
- Door mat (about $10 at Home Depot)
- Black spray paint ($2)
- Stencils – I printed mine on regular printer paper, in a few different sizes
- X-ACTO knife
- Tape measure, if you want to be precise
How to do it:
- Print out your mat message. (Need an idea? How about a Rueism?) If you have heavier paper, it might make the cutting process a bit easier, but I used regular and it worked well.
- Decide what size your font should be by placing the pages on the mat and eyeing them from standing level. If you can’t read it clearly, it’s too small.
- Use the X-ACTO knife to carefully cut out the letters. Do this on a safe surface, like a thick piece of cardboard or magazine (I used an old Rue La La box). Make sure to save the letters that need fill-ins, like Es and Os.
- Go outside (inhaling toxins is no fun) and place your stencil plus fill-ins – tape measure optional – on the mat where you would like the message.
- Secure the pages and pieces with thumbtacks. Don’t be modest – the spray will cause lightweight paper to blow around a bit, and you want these as stable as possible.
- Cover the rest of the mat with newspaper to prevent the paint from spreading.
- Spray the stencils completely.
- Let dry for a minute or two, then reveal!
By Julia Ivins, Staff Writer
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.