5 Quick Tips to Get Out of a Wardrobe Rut
This time of year is always the hardest for me, style-wise. It’s cold out – really, it’s been cold out for months – meaning all those tanks and dresses I love have moved to the back of my rotation. It’s easy to fall into a style routine (for me, it looks like denim, boots, and a tee or sweater). The not-so-easy part? Getting out of it. But it is possible! Here’s how:
1. Shake up your denim. Denim is my absolute, every-single-day go-to. I want to switch things up – but I just can’t let it go. The best-of-both-worlds solution? Add some color. Colored denim is still having a major moment. It has all the comfort and style of standard jeans, with an added dose of flare to spice things up. I love how it transforms a basic black tee into a dynamic, unexpected ensemble.
2. Add a statement necklace. Those drab outfits won’t look so boring with some big, bold jewels. An easy fix (after all, it’s just one piece that can work in so many ways) like a bright necklace will spring-ify everything from your old LBD to – you guessed it – your favorite tee.
3. Jazz up what lies beneath. Fun underpinnings aren’t just for the bedroom. Adding a little lacy something makes even the most plain of outfits feel somehow more special. So instead of opting for those old cotton standbys, pick a fun and flirty pair. It’ll add a nice little wink – promise.
4. Throw on a blazer. That aforementioned denim-and-a-tee pair that is my constant standby? Well, it works just as well (in fact, better) with a blazer. Totally ready for the office but also suited for after-work drinks and weekend brunch, a blazer adds a level of sophistication with every pairing. I love it most with a simple tee and jeans. The relaxed-yet-ready-for-business look is one that makes me feel on top of my game, and it shakes up outfits I’ve grown bored with.
5. When in doubt, buy new shoes. There’s a reason shoes are the most beloved item in all of fashion. Something about a new pair of shoes makes it practically irresistible to get your strut on. It’s even true when everything else stays the same. Those old skinnies you’ve grown tired of? Well, they won’t look so boring anymore. As an added bonus, shoes are a perfect way to update your ensemble for a whole new season: pointy-toe pumps are in for spring.
By Anna Kuchinsky, Staff Writer
What are the top ways you shake up your wardrobe routine? Share them in the comments below, or tweet us at @ruelala.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.