Rue Road Test: DIY Candle
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and there’s nothing more meaningful than a homemade gift. Bet you never thought of it, but guys like scented candles just as much as we do (and usually their apartments need them more than ours). So, consider this the gift for your bestie, brother, coworker – and even your main squeeze.
What you’ll need:
• 10 unscented tea lights (or beeswax)
• Old pot
• Stove top
• One 6-inch candle wick (available at craft store, or make your own)
• Small glass or tin jar
• Essential oils of your choice (my favorite combination is vanilla and jasmine)
How to do it:
1. Place about 10 tea lights in the bottom of an old pot.
2. Turn the stove burner on low heat and keep an eye on the candles as they melt.
3. When the wax has melted, remove each wick with a pair of tweezers and discard.
4. Tie the fresh wick around a pencil and balance it over the opening of your jar so the wick hangs straight down.
5. Using the tongs, remove each tea light from the pot and carefully pour the melted wax into your jar, leaving about 1/2 inch at the top.
6. Mix in 20 – 40 drops of the essential oils of your choice.
7. Allow to set and cool.
8. Trim your wick to 1/8 inch and enjoy!
By Grace Romanowsky of Valenki By ACE, Staff Writer
How did your road test fare? Share in the comments below or tweet us at @ruelala.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.