Mani Monday: The Ombre Manicure
Khloe Kardashian and Lauren Conrad helped make ombre hair a huge trend for 2012 and 2013, but some of us might not be ready to commit to dyeing our locks. Much like the carefree essence of the hairstyle, ombre nails are an even easier at-home project. Dip your tips into this trend with a DIY ombre manicure – just follow these steps.
What You’ll Need:
- White nail polish
- Three of your favorite colored nail polishes (I used butter LONDON’s “The Full Monty,” essie’s “turquoise & caicos,” and Milani’s “Dude Blue”)
- Makeup sponges
- Clear nail polish
- Nail polish remover
- Cotton swabs
- Paint two coats of white nail polish on your nails and let dry completely.
- Remove the tops of all three colored polishes.
- With your first color, paint a thin line on the angled part of the makeup sponge.
- Repeat step 3 for the other nail polish colors, as shown above. (Steps 3 and 4 should be done rather quickly, or the sponge will absorb too much polish.)
- Dab the nail with the painted sponge about 5 – 6 times (or until you achieve your desired color).
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for each nail to achieve the best results.
- Apply a clear coat of polish.
- Remove excess polish from skin with nail polish remover and cotton swabs.
By Carolyn Schultz, Staff Writer
Have a manicure tip? Share in the comments below or tweet us at @ruelala.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.