Ahoy, Kennebunkport. So much more than the Bush family’s summer escape (though consider our intrigue piqued), this picturesque little town is Maine coastal life to a T. So go ahead – book a seaside stay through our Kennebunkport Inn – Kennebunkport, ME Boutique, then get to know your newest (dream) destination.
1. The town was first incorporated in 1653 as “Cape Porpus.”
2. The coast’s irregular geography has a lot to do with the retreat of the Laurentide ice cap, some 23,000 years ago.
3. Originally a shipbuilding center, the town became a summer destination for affluent Bostonians in the late 1800s.
4. Not to be a broken record, but – the Bush family compound is famously located here. Meaning? World leaders (ahem, Margaret Thatcher, Nicolas Sarkozy, and Mikhail Gorbachev) have all paid visits.
5. Taylor Swift shot a music video in Kennebunkport. (Sold.)
6. Freeport is just 45 minutes away. Why is this important, you ask? Four (or is it five?) words: L.L. Bean. Flagship. Store.
7. Rainy day? Pay a visit to the Kennebunkport Historical Society. Considering the town’s history dates back to 1653, there’s quite a bit to learn.
8. Bring an appetite for lobster. (Just saying.)
Our Kennebunkport Inn – Kennebunkport, ME Boutique opens Tuesday, January 22, at 11AM ET.
By Sarah Stanley, Staff Writer
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.