Tips for Surviving Black Friday & Cyber Monday
They’re almost here: Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Haven’t been plotting your plan of attack all year? Not to worry – here are my best tips. After 14 years in retail, I’ve seen (and shopped!) it all.
- Scour Black Friday ads after stuffing yourself with turkey on Thanksgiving. Chances are you won’t nab everything on your list, so you’ll want to target the items that are at the top.
- Heading out to the stores at midnight? Be sure to make a big mug of coffee around 10PM. That way, you’re sure to stay wide awake while standing in those long lines with your finds.
- When waiting in said lines, double your shopping by checking out all the Boutiques Rue has at 11AM and 3PM from your iPhone® (you have our app, right?) or mobile device.
- Go big. Appliances and electronics usually have deep discounts on Cyber Monday – and it’s easier to put that 40″ LED TV in a virtual cart, rather than having to lug it through an actual store.
- Get your fix – as in Today’s Fix – all day. Rue will have 24 must-have gifts for everyone on your list. It’ll also be a good time to start finding gifts for yourself, too (’tis the season)!
- Take advantage of shipping deals like our Rue 30 to maximize convenience and savings (that’s the time to throw those fuzzy slippers into your cart).
Even after Cyber Monday, online holiday deals are plentiful, but here’s a few things to keep in mind:
- Shipping time frames. Most sites will give you an idea of when an item will be shipped out (on Rue, the “Ships in” information is below the “Add to Bag” button). This will be essential for the party dress you need before the big night. Look for upgraded shipping options when you need to. All Rue Boutiques will have the “Guaranteed for Christmas” treatment on applicable items.
- Return policies. Generally, e-tailers and retailers give you a little leeway in case Nana thinks you still like sweatshirts with kittens on them. Always take a peek before ordering – sometimes items like lingerie are final sale and can’t be returned. (Rue lets you return non-final-sale items until January 15, 2013.)
- Gift messaging. Sometimes it’s available, sometimes it’s not. Be sure to note which gifts you may need to send a corresponding card with. Making sure that the perfect gift is finished off with a “thank you!” is what holiday shopping is all about. You can write notes to your lucky recipients on Rue by clicking “Yes” on the checkout screen – right under your payment information.
By Amy Bootier, Corporate Concierge
What are your Black Friday and Cyber Monday tips? Share them in the comments below or tweet us @ruelala.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.