Rue Road Test: Tape Art Installations

I couldn’t get enough of these neon geometric tape art installations that Facebook commissioned Aakash Nihalani to create in their East Coast headquarters. And let’s be real: my apartment is basically The Book’s HQ given the amount of time I spend on it, so I decided to try my hand at my own.

What you’ll need

• One roll of neon masking tape (regular white or the standard blue just won’t cut it!)
  • A smooth, empty wall (white drywall works best)

How it’s done
– Cut the tape into varying lengths, anywhere between 12–24 inches.
– Attach the end of each piece to the edge of a table to hang so they don’t become stuck together or pick up any dust or debris. This makes them easy to grab and place while you’re navigating the wall.
– Begin with a simple shape like a triangle or square, loosely placing each piece so you can reposition it if need be.
– Overlay your first shape with different shapes and connect any vortexes (you can even use different colors of tape if you like).
– When you’re happy with the shape, smooth each piece of tape down firmly from one end to the other and snip any bits that are too long or uneven.

Is this not the perfect dorm room decorating idea? Change shapes or colors as often as you please, or make it a weekly tradition for each roommate to add one more piece to the shape. By the end of the semester, you’ll have a 100% original wall art installation (and a good excuse to have a champagne “art reception party”).

By Grace Romanowsky of Valenki By ACE, Staff Writer

How did your road test fare? Share it in the comments below or tweet us @ruelala.

Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.

Pin It

October 25, 2012

Comments

1. sarah says:

This is a great idea for apartments as well!