The (Quick) Fall Apartment Update
Although I’m known to wear flip flops well after the first snowfall (and keep a year-round countdown to summer), I always look forward to seasonal treats and décor. With a few strategically placed autumnal touches, some seriously snuggle-worthy fabrics, and yes, a gourd arrangement, I took one part of my home from beachy-cool to bonfire-cozy.
Here’s how it’s done:
1. There’s nothing better than sinking your toes into a heavenly soft rug on a chilly morning. Rather than replace your summer-friendly flatweave, layer your existing rug with a smaller throw rug to achieve an (affordable) warm and eclectic look. Play around with contrasting prints and textures – I paired a natural striped wool flatweave with an ivory sheepskin throw for a shabby-chic look.
2. Changing up your decorative pillowcases is a great and simple way to achieve a warmer color palette in your space (as well as prolong the lifespan of your cases). I swapped out a classic white, monogrammed pillowcase for moss green- and rust-colored wool pillowcases for a perfect, fall foliage color scheme.
3. Nothing is more essential than finding the perfect throw blanket. I’ll just kiss the gym goodbye now, because I know the only thing on my mind when I’m leaving work during the next few months will be getting home to this super-plush throw.
4. ‘Tis the season for gourd-crazed decorations, and who am I to question tradition? I picked up a dozen or so in a variety of harvest colors, added some DIY textured floral pieces, and the fall mantle was born.
5. I’m no baker, but seasonal candles in scents like apple pie and pumpkin spice will give the illusion that I’m a regular Betty Crocker. I’m a huge fan of Aunt Sadie’s, but if you’re feeling crafty, try your hand at making your own (yes, yet another use for gourds).
By Grace Romanowsky, Staff Writer
What are your transitional decorating tips? Share them in the comments below or tweet us @ruelala.
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.