Seven Things You Didn’t Know About Chanel
Ah, Chanel – the name itself is music to the ears of every fashionista. To own a precious piece from the collection? That’s when you know you’ve made it to the fashion elite. We swoon over the iconic interlocking Cs, the quilted handbags, and the pearl-dappled costume jewelry, but what we didn’t know is where it all began.
1. Before couture, Coco Chanel started out as a licensed hat-maker and owned her own shop in 1910.
3. Coco was a Leo, so it’s no surprise that one of Chanel’s iconic symbols is the lion.
5. In 1922, Coco introduced her first perfume – Chanel No. 5. Every bottle is sealed by hand with pearl cotton thread and hot wax stamped with the interlocking Cs (watch the video to see how it’s done).
6. Coco invented the “LBD” in 1926.
7. Karl Lagerfeld has been designing for Chanel since 1983.
Our From the Reserve: Chanel Jewelry & Accessories Boutique opens Sunday, October 7, at 11AM ET.
By Brianna Lapolla, Staff Writer
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.