Yes, You Can: Do the Do Of The Moment

Truth be told, I’m not someone who tries too hard when it comes to hair. Let’s just say I appreciate “I-just rolled-out-of-bed” waves. I’d rather take five extra minutes of snoozing than brush out my mass of hair, but this new style has been an AM lifesaver. Not only does it battle heat and humidity, it takes a mere 60 seconds.  To get the look that’s been spotted on off-duty models everywhere, follow these instructions:

1. Start with a sock, or (if you’re like me and admittedly lazy) grab a hair donut in a shade that matches the color of your hair. For the sock method, simply cut the toe and roll it into a similar donut shape.
  2. Gather your hair into a high ponytail – experimenting has led me to love both a messy and sleek approach.
  3. Pull your ponytail through the hole in the donut and bring it up to within an inch of the ends of your hair.
  4. Pull your ends around the donut shape and tuck them underneath. It doesn’t have to be perfect. (If you have shorter hair, simply spread out the ends to cover the donut, pin, and stop here).
  5. Start rolling the donut down the ponytail.
  6. If you have a boatload of thick, luscious hair (which I do not), you may want to secure with a few pins at the base. Otherwise, you’re good to go.

Bonus: Try this before bed with slightly damp hair – it’s comfy to sleep on – and when you take it out in the morning, those bedhead waves (which I just advocated) are more polished and sleek than tangled strands.

By Samantha Dulac, Senior Staff Writer

Make your own hair masterpieces and tag us on Instagram @ruelala or tweet us @ruelala.

Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.

Pin It

August 7, 2012

Comments

1. Abigail says:

I’m so confused!

2. gail says:

Yes, I’m lost too! so you are just covering the donut with your own hair? what if you have fine hair? won’t you see the donut? and what are you tucking your hair underneath too so it doesn’t just come out?
    I am so hair challeneged it’s not funny!

3. Kimberly says:

I’ve worn this all summer and it’s so easy. And I’m hair challenged. If you want to see it done in action, YouTube it…there are a ton of tutorials!

4. Chandley says:

How can we help? It really is as easy as it looks, though it takes a little figuring out. It depends on how you’d like your hair to look.

5. Chandley says:

You got it, Gail. Just using your own hair and rolling it around the outside of the donut. The donut acts as a giant scrunchy and holds everything against your head. It won’t feel super-tight, but it will stay in place. If you have fine hair, be sure to get a donut that matches your hair shade. You shouldn’t really be able to see it.

6. Jalaludin says:

If your hair to break only, it is not female hair loss. Female hair loss caseus individual strands of hair in certain areas are thinner, providing less coverage of the scalp. It is a slow, gradual process. It sounds like the aggressive chemicals damages the hair shaft, causing the break but not really cause hair loss by the roots. The essential oil treatments can help to repair the damage.