Get Packing: How to Head Back to College in Style

Summer’s winding down (tear), and that unmistakable hint of newness in the air can only mean one thing – it’s back-to-school time. But instead of Trapper Keepers and pencils, we’re stocking up on stylish school-year essentials that will turn dorm rooms into the place to be.

Soft Sheets in Twin XL
Nothing says home sweet home like a soft pair of sheets to crawl in between after a long day of classes (or a fun night of – shhhh – partying). Our choice? An extra-long set in a bold color.

An Oversized Trunk
You’ll need a place to store your off-season clothes (and hide unsharable snacks from your roommates). We prefer a heavy-duty trunk that looks stylish while still serving a purpose (Country Living shows you how to restore any tag sale finds).

Wall Art
Trade the typical college tapestry for a bright piece of art to spruce up your space. One of our favorites? Flowers by Andy Warhol (plus it will look great in your post-college apartment).

Cozy Lighting
Switch off the harsh overhead lights and turn on a warm, vibrant lamp to assist with your late-night studying. Not only will it turn your space into a cozy cavern, but it’s also much easier on the eyes.

A Sink-Into-Me Chair
Nothing beats retreating back to your dorm and collapsing into a comfy, cozy chair – it’s the best way to watch a movie or catch up on reading. We love this modern spin on the classic bean bag.

Hamper
No one wants a rude roomie. Dump all your dirty laundry into a hamper even Mom would approve of. Just don’t forget to do your wash every once in awhile.

Water Kettle
No need to leave your room for hot tea or soup. We’re huge fans of this cordless filter kettle because it minimizes cord-tripping incidents and heats up even faster than the microwave.

Plush Robe
Go from the showers to your suite in style. A cozy robe is a packing must (just don’t forget to buy a hook to hang it on the back of your door).

Got a packing list to fill? Our Campus Life 101 Boutique opens today, July 26, at 3PM ET.

By Kate Martel, Staff Writer

Not a Member and like the (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.

Pin It
July 26, 2012