Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk
French fashion icon Jean Paul Gaultier has taken San Francisco by storm. At least that appears to be the case if you happen to visit the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park, which is hosting The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk, the first exhibit devoted to the designer and his personal themes of “equality, diversity and perversity.” (Remember, this is the guy who put Madonna in that infamous conical corset and counts naughty-but-nice burlesque star Dita Von Teese among his favored clients.) Here’s a little peek at the exhibit.
Clockwise from top left:
1. Agyness Deyn models a gown from Gaultier’s first-ever spring/summer 1977 collection at the designer’s 30th anniversary runway show in October 2006 (photo by Patrice Stable).
2. A lace label from Jean Paul Gaultier’s haute couture collection.
3. Eiffel Tower fishnet stockings from Gaultier’s fall/winter 2010-2011 haute couture Parisiennes collection.
4. Gaultier’s sketch for Milla Jovovich’s costume in the 1997 film, The Fifth Element, directed by Luc Besson.
5. Lily Cole wears the “Dolores” gown from Gaultier’s spring/summer 2007 haute couture collection (photo by Patrice Stable).
“The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier: From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk” will be on view in the Herbst Exhibition Galleries at the de Young Museum through August 19, 2012.Pin It