When our Editorial Copy Director brought these bunny-shaped cake balls into the Rue headquarters, the entire office let out an “aww” – and and we knew we had to share the recipe.
1 box of regular cake mix + ingredients
16 oz frosting of your choice
1 bag of large marshmallows
1 bag of white or milk chocolate chips
Old-fashioned dots candy
Black or chocolate icing
Green food coloring
- Bake the cake of your choice in a large cake dish. Cool completely. (If in a rush, it helps to refrigerate.)
- Crumble the cake and mix well with the frosting.
- Using a spoon or scooper, make 1 tsp. balls and place on a wax paper-covered cookie sheet. Cool again in the fridge and let harden (30 minutes or so should do it).
- Cut large marshmallows in half lengthwise. Then cut each half into fours, so they look like little ears. Press the sticky sides of the marshmallows in colorful sprinkles.
- Melt chocolate chips (25 seconds at a time. You don’t want to burn it!).
- Dip the hardened cake balls into the melted chocolate so they’re fully covered. Warning: this step gets messy.
- Place the chocolate-covered balls on a wax paper-covered cookie sheet. Press on the marshmallow ears, and use a dot candy for the nose.
- One more time, put the cookie sheet filled with cake balls in the fridge and allow everything to harden.
- Once hard, use a knife to trim the excess chocolate along the base.
- Use a toothpick dipped in black or chocolate frosting to dot on the eyes.
- Finish by setting the cake balls on green-colored coconut and admire your new litter of bunnies.
- By Katie Flynn, Editor
Not a Member and like The (Style) Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.Pin It