Let it Rue: How to Master Holiday Style
TIPS ON THE HOLIDAY MUST-HAVES FROM RUE LA LA LEAD STYLIST, LAUREN D’AVOLIO
‘Tis the season for parties, impromptu get-togethers, and festive dinners out with friends. With calendars filling up and fêtes inching closer, we’re trying to find a minute to get our closets in order. We turned to our expert stylist, Lauren, to find out about the top holiday essentials that everyone should have in their arsenal.
FOR THE LADIES
1. A classic little black dress. Look for styles with a little something extra like black lace inserts, metallic threading, or subtle beading.
2. A statement coat. Steer clear from the classics, and dare to wear an exaggerated shape like an asymmetrical silhouette or a coat with a funnel neck. Multi-textural coats - leather and wool, tweed and nylon - are also great. And you can always go even bolder with funky accessories: brooches, belts, fur shawls, and more.
3. An architectural clutch. Pick an oversized style and go for bold colors and textured materials. Try something in processed leathers for a big impact – it’s a less expected choice.
FOR THE GENTS
1. A pair of dark jeans. The ultimate dress-up-or-down piece, this denim needs to be fitted and a bit more formal. Go for a solid, dark wash with a heavier feel.
2. A sharp blazer. A well-cut blazer always looks refined. Try styles in rich textures like wool, tweed, or heavy velvet.
3. A scarf. Pair an easy, soft scarf with any look, and it instantly adds a dapper edge – plus it’s warm and cozy. Solid colors look great, but if you’re feeling adventurous, don’t shy away from a print either.
The holidays should be all about joy – not stress – so keep these must-haves on hand and have a blast working the season’s party circuit.