THE INSIDE SCOOP BEHIND THE STORIED FAMILY VILLA
We caught up with Salvatore Ferragamo, grandson of the iconic fashion company’s late founder, for some insider insight about their family estate that he describes as “historic, luxurious, and picturesque.” There are so many amazing details about the estate (and our Tuscan adventure as a whole!) but we’ve zeroed in on five little-known facts about the Ferragamo family, wines, and estate that get us dreaming of the dolce vita.
1. When Salvatore said the property was historic – he meant it. The estate once belonged to the world-famous Medici-Tornaquinci noble family, as well as Italian royals throughout history.
2. The estate’s library is chock-filled with the family’s private collection of books and photographs – a treasure-trove of family heirlooms.
3. Although the family is all about style, the estate’s ambiance is all about homey comfort. So no need to stress, guests are encouraged to dress as formally or casually as they wish.
4. The estate restaurant, Osteria del Borro, specializes in ancient Tuscan recipes reinterpreted by renowned Chef Roberto Bendinelli. Salvatore’s pick for a can’t-miss meal: steak florentine paired with the flagship Il Borro wine.
5. The Ferragamo name doesn’t grace any of the bottles of their estate wines. The family wants the wine to stand on its own delicious merits.
The Ferragamo family estate and winery is only one aspect of the incredible Tuscany: Il Palio & The Ferragamo Estate Boutique – other elements include coveted views of the Il Palio horse race, three nights in an eleventh-century castle, and unparalleled wine country experiences.
The Tuscany: Il Palio & The Ferragamo Estate Boutique opens Monday, December 6 at 11AM ET.