Indulgent Extras: Apricot/Cranberry/Walnut Balls

A RECIPE PACKED WITH FESTIVE FLAVORS AND HEALTHY FRUITS FROM LAKE AUSTIN SPA RESORT

Lake Austin

Winter merriment brings an abundance of sweet treats – even an overabundance. We turned to Lake Austin Spa Resort, the expert on relaxing holiday celebrations, for their take on seasonal sweets. Decked out in decorations, the resort’s cozy lake house atmosphere transforms into a warm, welcoming seasonal setting, offering cooking and baking demonstrations, crafts, and fireside family activities. Members heading to Lake Austin Spa Resort during December can expect a stress-free holiday retreat.

Here, a fruit-filled indulgence you’ll love to savor and serve during the coming season.

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups dried apricots
1 ½ cups dried cranberries
¾ cup toasted walnut pieces
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon Asian 5 spice
¼ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon cayenne (optional)

Instructions:
Combine the first six ingredients together in a food processor and then blend in 10-second intervals until it becomes a cohesive mixture.

Put the sugar in a bowl, and add the cayenne if you like a little extra kick.

Mold the fruit mixture into large, marble-sized balls and then roll in the sugar. Store the treats in an air-tight container in a single layer. Recipe makes 50.

Enjoy:
Sip up something sweet and seasonal, and relax.

Our Lake Austin Spa Resort Boutique opens Monday at 11AM ET.

November 8, 2010

Comments

Would make these cookies but it looks like “flour” has been left out?
    am I right?
    Debby

Clearly the picture doesn’t correlate to the recipe… right? confused.

Thanks for the comments – you’re right, it was confusing! We’ve updated the image. Not cookies, and no flour required for these delicious treats. Hope you try them out!

This recipe sounds delish! I am going to try it for my upcoming holiday party. It will leave them guessing as to what’s in the ball mixture ! Thank you for this great and creative recipe !

What a perfect place to take my sister for her upcoming 50th birthday! I love that a per person spa allowance & 3 daily healthy gourmet meals are included & that wine tasting is offered as a fitness/discovery program! Now I want to turn 50 too!

Made this for Thanksgiving, but told my friends I had purchased these. They loved it and when I revealed it was home-made, it took real convincing as they thought it was too good to be made by me. Sprinkle cayenne right on top for the perfect heat.

What is Asian 5 spice and where can it be bought?

Hi jdenney08 – Five-Spice powder is popular in Asian cooking. It’s a mixture of 5 different spices – cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel seeds, and Szechuan peppercorns. Look for it in the spice section of your supermarket. Enjoy!