Whitney Port: A (Real Life) Fashion Fairytale

BY WHITNEY PORT

The debut of my collection on Rue La La feels like a dream. I have loved fashion ever since I was a little girl. One of my earliest memories is working behind the scenes in my dad’s warehouse, ticketing garments and folding sweatshirts. So when I landed an internship at Women’s Wear Daily, I couldn’t have been more thrilled. From there, I worked for amazing publications like Teen Vogue, where I got to see my first fashion show (DKNY Jeans) at Smashbox Studios in Los Angeles.

One of the biggest challenges I faced when I set out to create my collection was designing for a wide demographic – being able to speak to women of every age, size, and income. Personally, I love mixing “high” and “low,” vintage and new, and buying pieces you can wear with many different things (like tops that can be dressed up or down, and can be worn with jeans, black pants, or a pencil skirt). When I thought about my line, I wanted it to have an Alice-in-Wonderland-goes-to-a-cocktail-party feel, with an effortless, vibrant-yet-empowering vibe.

Last year I was thrilled to introduce my first line, Whitney Eve, to the world – and seeing my own dream come to life on the runway is a feeling I’ll never forget. What I saw under the lights at Bryant Park was just what I had set out to accomplish – a fun, chic, sophisticated collection that real women would want to wear. Just like every woman should own a pair of great-fitting dark denim jeans, a figure-flattering little black dress, and a leather motorcycle jacket, I’ve come to see some of my own pieces as wardrobe essentials. A couple of my personal favorites are the watercolor chiffon flounce dress and the metallic oversized jacket.

One day I would love to see celebrities like Ashley Olsen, Kate Bosworth, Rihanna, and Keira Knightley wear my collection. They are so ahead of the trends, willing to take chances and rock everything they put on. Seeing them in my pieces would be so exciting. And I am so excited for the Boutique doors to open on my new collection.

Whitney Port & Brian Reyes: ELLE Modern Designers will be open on Rue La La from May 12 – 17.

May 11, 2010

Comments

I think that the collection can appeal to a wide demographic and I have enjoyed watching whitney from the hills and now the city… I think she has been professional and has shown alot of integrity..

I think you are truely talented and I can’t wait to shop your collection tomorrow!

can’t wait for Whitney’s collection! :))

I was looking for a dress shown on the show for the rue la la shoot, the model was photographed wearing it. Maybe it is the “watercolor chiffon flounce dress” that she listed as one of her favorites? I can’t find it on here.

aww the dress i wanted is sold out!!! still gonnna buy something though! your truly an amazing designer, i have to support!

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! THE DRESS I WANTED IS SOLD OUT!!!!!!!!! Dont you dare let OLIVIA put you down. God does not like UGLY.

AMAZING COLLECTION! the boutique is almost sold out so everyone go on quick & buy something!

Fun colorful vest left & some cute dresses :)

Hi Whitney, i love you on the show the city. The white dress i wanted to is sold out. but i’m still going to support you. So do you know when your going to have more of your designs come out for us to buy?

Whitney, your clothes are as beautiful as you are! Don’t let Olivia get you down; she is not worth your time. I am very glad to see that someone else knew your collection was great and that you got to be on Ruelala. You are a wonderful designer!!

Whitney, Beautiful collection! You did a wonderful job on your first collection! I’m so happy that you had Kelly helping you along the way. I’m sure her support was great for you. Don’t let Olivia get you down! Erin is a better friend! You go!

OMgoodness I saw your line of clothes and the orangy colored vest and short! OMgoodness so adorable! Wish you had more of the shorts! Great job Whitney you are amazing!!!!

Whitney you are amazing! Keep up the good work! And forget about that jealous girl. I liked what you said about how some people are just they way they are and you just have to move on.

You go Whit!! Your collection is amazing! Keep it coming!

Congratulations…you have a great eye and I love the femininity of your collection. Erin and Kelly are awesome for looking out for you and seeing your talent.

Whitney, your clothes are adorable and trendy. Erin is smart and knows talent when she sees it. Keep your incredible pieces coming. PS. Kelly is your family, just like you said.

Huge fan, so good to see you on The City. It’s a weekly documentary on fashion. I love it, and your collection. The pieces I wanted (Metallic Stripe Jacket, Metallic Stripe Ballerina Skirt) were sold out even by 1 pm today when I could get on! More!!

Whitney…your collection is amazing! Everything is sold out! I just have a question though…..I am a size 12 does your collection only go up to size 8?

Whitney – your first collection is eye catching. No wonder the items are selling out. Please keep in mind us women who are not a size 0 to 8. We would like to purchase your items for ourselves, not just for our daughters or nieces.

amazing designer and collection. hope there will be more of these clothes soon

It’s great seeing most of her clothing has sold out…but it also stinks b/c now I can’t order the white confetti romber:( Is there anywhere else I can go to order this?

Love it all! This is exactly what I’m looking for to wear this summer…when will more items be in/not sold out?

Love your collection. Everything I want is sold out though…so sad. Hope to see new items soon!!!

whitney your line rocks my world and so glad you have my sizes. all the stuff i want is sold out but will totally buy if you come back to the rue! p.s. the white dress and long jacket are spectacular!

whitney i LOVE your designs and i am a faithful watcher of The City, so when I saw the sale go up on Rue La La, I was SO excited and immediately bought 3 things!!! good luck with everything!

Whit- You can do better- why are you using that cheap gold metalic fabric? Did you run out of money? No wonder why that is all that is left…LOVED the white dress though- more of those. I can’t see myself wearing anything else on Nantucket! :(

It has been a pleasure watching your career blossom! You handle your professional challenges with grace & style! Beyond your amazing talent as a designer, you have the best heart & a passion for what you are doing. May all your dreams come true!

I love your line, although I wanted to buy the metallic vest but it is all sold out! Everything went so quickly, congratulations!!! I hope to be able to purchase it somewhere else soon! Your professionalism really shines, great collection!

I just LOVED all, I think almost all the collerction is sold out…better be quick!

Whitney,I absolutely adore and look up to you (even though you are younger then me) but I do have an issue I would like to discuss. Your collection is amazing but I have to say that is only for the rich and famous and is really hurts.

I am a single mother and would love to rock your line here in Knoxville, TN but I can’t afford it and that totally bums me out, Whitney!

Whitney you are so inspiring I want to be a designer when im older and you are truely a huge role model of mine. I love your collection, CONGRATULATIONS!

amazing collection ! :)

maybe I do not get it (I am definitely not jealous of WP), but this looks cheap, designs maybe nice, but fabric????? What is this disco ball fashions? I would not put that fabric on a Barbie, much less a woman in her 20s

I thought whitneys collections were daring and girly for a first timer,she wasn’t afraid to step out of her shell I mean lace glitter leggings? thats amazing!Her collection was al fun and frills, like she was paying an ode to the ever girly blumarine

Oh my goodness, Whitney, your line is more then amazing. :) The color and life that you added to the collection, makes it perfect!

I think Whitney has done a great job with her career…she has a great line, a tv show, and did it all without being nasty (like some famous people). She is sweet, but will stand up for herself, and has great morals. She’s a great role model!

Whitney I think you’re doing well. Whether or not I would personally wear the items from your line, I believe they are extremely appealing to our generation. They are artistic, tasteful and thoughtful-that alone could make anyone love it. Keep it up

Eres LA mejor Whitney !!! Me parece que eres una de las mejores diseñadoras y te admiro muchisimo por todo lo que has logrado!Muchisimas Felicidades !! Congrats 4 everything!

Go Whitney! Olivia is such an ugly person.