Destination Denim: The Pieces to Pack for Instant Style

BY SARAH EVANS, TRAVEL AUTHOR

Destination Denim

As an avid traveler, I’m constantly packing and re-packing. Denim is one of my favorite suitcase essentials because not only is it durable and great for travel, but it goes with just about everything. Denim is appropriate for most occasions, and should be a vital part of everyone’s wardrobe in some shape or form. Today, denim is available in everything from shirts to sandals, so the jean pool is much more diverse than you may think. Below I’ve outlined my denim must-haves for any trip:

“Jeggings”
The newest must-have in denim, jean leggings are the sexy necessity of the season. They’re ideal travel gear because they’re cute and comfy, and work well on the plane. Plus, it’s a great alternative to saggy sweats.

Jean Jacket
I still wear the same one I bought in Italy nearly a decade ago. Find one that you love and wear it with anything and everything. Put it over a dress or pair it with your favorite skinny jeans (as long as they’re not the exact same shade).

Distressed Cut-Offs
For years, celebs have been sporting this look, some better than others. Splurge on a pair of chic designer denim duds that are fabulously frayed, or take an old pair of your favorite jeans and cut them yourself. But be careful not to cut them too short (à la Britney Spears) – the Bermuda length is definitely in for spring.

Dark Denim
The ultimate in sophistication. It’s universally flattering and is great for dressy or casual occasions. Find a pair that fits you like a glove and pair with a classic white tee, a blazer, and a pair of high heels. Guys, dark denim with a blazer works for you too (trust us).

Denim Accessories
Yes, they’re back. Accessorize with a pair of denim shoes or a handbag, and there are even wallets out there for the guys. And during the summer, denim bikinis will also be an option. It’s a fabric that can go with virtually anything.

So pack light (or dark). Either way, the result will always be stylish.

April 4, 2010

Comments

I think you have convinced me to purhcase Jeggings!

We were on the fence at first too, but now we’re converts! Can’t beat the comfort and chic.

Most insightful and convincing article I’ve read to date. Our credit card is in trouble now!

I love packing denim for trips…wrinkle-proof and works for almost anything!

Thanks for the jean-shorts tip. I love DIY suggestions! Can’t beat taking something old and making it new! Thanks Sarah!

Jeggings! I love it :-) Will pack them on my next trip. Thanks for the suggestions. great article

Never thought I’d get into jeggings but now I’m obsessed… and so true- perfect for the plane!

Jeggings are great! I just got a pair made by Paige at Nordstrom’s and they actually have real denim in them so they don’t look like “fake” denim fabric.

How do you bid or buy? I cannot figure out how the system operates.

Its so easy! When you get the daily email (make sure its going to the email account that you check the most) just view the boutique. If you see something you like simply click on that item, select the size and viola! Hope that helps and shop away!

I have tried many jeggings, but find that the most flattering and best fit are the William Rast jeggings. They are not too low, the fit is great. They are sold at Nordstroms, or their own boutiques.Designed by Justin Timberlake and his pal Trace.

Love my jeggings. So does my Husband. He thinks they are super sexy.

As soon as I can attempt to get my pre-baby bod back I’m going to purchase some jeggings. Now that I have a baby traveling in comfort is especially important and jeggings seem to be the answer!

Jeggings…just the name makes me laugh…leggings with a “j” and they are fake jeans. Ok…who should wear these….good bodies and the comment that they are a “a great alternative to saggy sweats.” never said truer words…i am addicted to comfort.

Couldn’t be more poinently put. I LOVE my jeggings, and who would have thought? What a wonderful article and very inspiring. Time to shop!